About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

5th Grade I am poems

Romario J.
Monster

I am the cold in the winter
I am a lion that looks for his prey
I am a tornado destroying a town
I am the shadow that hovers the earth
I am a snow storm trapping people inside
I am the fire that burns you up.

David R.
I am

I am the dolphin in the sky
I am the snow that melts in your hand
I am the wind that blows you away
I am the food that fills you
I am the air you breath
I am the shadow that follows you
I am the water that you use
I am the fire that warms you
I am the weather that makes you change
I am the planet that saves you.

Now you see, I am the gravity that holds you
I am the colors of the rainbow
I am the deer that you miss
I am the music in your ears.

Matt P.
The I Am Poem

I am the fire that burns the wood
I am the water of a sea
I am the star of the dark night
I am the snow of the morning day
I am the moon that shines in the night
I am the weather of the day
I am the rain that falls from the sky
I am the Komodo dragon in the orange desert
I am the seal that bounces the ball on my nose.

No comments: