About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Odes to Good Things

We read Pablo Neruda's "Ode to the Watermelon" and then students wrote odes to some of their favorite things.

Third grade

Michelle P.
Ode to rootbeer ice cream

It's a world of brown and
white with snow. You are like a
mountain of root beer ice cream.
We eat you so fast
we get brain freeze. You are the
fountain that melts in my
mouth. You are cream.

Anthony A.
Ode to Wii

Oh Wii your white box
is like the snow.
Oh Wii you're the king of all
systems your controller
is like a light saber
it is cool when I
play Mario galaxy.

Alberto O.
Ode to Cable Comcast

Oh! Comcast I love you
when I get home the first thing
I do is go home and lay down
and watch TV when I watch you
my heart explodes. I wish
I can take you everywhere I
go. If I could it would be a
dream come true.

5th Grade

Daniel R.
Ode to PS2

It's the mind to electronics.
It’s the game to my controller.

You are the thing that keeps me
happy, and unbored. You take me away
from trouble.

A real life game can be real in my room,
and makes me a cop, or robber, or musician.

Vanessa R.
Ode to the Apple

It's a fruit that tastes
so good and juicy.

Your juiciness makes me
want to sit
under a shady tree
and eat you.

I like you red
skin, it reminds me
of fire. When I
bite into you I
feel as it I
were floating in
the sky.

I like that yellow
crunchiness inside you.
When I taste
apple pie
I will
remember you.


Romario D.
Ode to cheeseburger

Oh cheeseburger
you are so special
made. Not a bite of
anything on you you're
like a brand new
car without a scratch
when I look at you
I just want to eat
you slowly of greasy
and cheesy and soft
bread. When I eat
you I wish I hadn't
eaten you cheeseburger
so I could eat you again.
Oh Cheeseburger
you are a work of
art.

No comments: